Search This Blog

30 September, 2008

Implications of Being a DTM

Implications of Being a DTM

Over the past 4 years I have seen some really amazing speakers and some pretty crummy speakers. I can forgive crummy speakers who are working the Toastmasters program. It is easy to assume that a person has worked hard, come far and is still not a great speaker. I can even forgive a bad speaker who has one DTM. The one thing that grinds my gears is a speaker with multiple DTMs, but is still a crummy speaker. Another thing that grinds my gears is a crummy speaker in a major leadership role, with a DTM (or multiple) who stumbles through speaches like a new member. It frustrated me even more when I know speakers in both those situaitons are members of multiple clubs, including an advanced club. It frustrates me to the point of distraction. What has this person been taking away from the program if they speak this way? What has been the point of all those evaluations, every speech being a manual speech and insane number of speaking opportunities if you still stumble through a speech that should be easy for you. 
As a newly minted DTM, I am feeling my own frustrations with other DTMs impact me. I have created, in my mind, an image of what it is to have a DTM and to be working on multiple DTMs. Being a polished speaker before my DTM was easy. I did not feel people would expect me to be a polished speaker. It was a point of pride that I was so polished. Now, I feel my own expectations impacting my current skills. Combine this with my real desire to be better at giving advice rather than telling people what to do. Last night, at my TLI session for presidents, it all hit me a bit. I got visibly nervous. Until I got to this point as a speaker (completing my DTM), I never had this problem. Nerves have not been my problem before. Now I have to work on a new fear- the fear of not living up to people's expectations. Chiefly, this is my own expectations of what it means to be a DTM.
The session went very well last night. I was hyper aware of myself and my communication skills and I don't think I needed to be. I think I did a good job of making sure my ideas didn't come off as "the right way", but as the way that worked for me and my club. I spoke about things I did well, didn't do well, or wish I had a chance to do. I allowed the presidents to ask questions related to their club and I said what I would consider. I tried to make sure I made 'I' comments (I would try this, I think you could consider this). I know my fear, my nervousness was a bit silly. Yet, I have to address it if I want to continue to be a good speaker and improve my communication skills.

No comments:

District 51

District 31

Other Districts

AZMI SHAHRIN