Search This Blog

08 October, 2008

After your Toastmasters Number 10 Speech what next?

After your Toastmasters Number 10 Speech what next?

Simon Bucknall President Excalibur

Giving your Number 10 speech is a big deal. But what happens next? I asked Simon Bucknall, President ofExcalibur and twice UK & Ireland International Speech Champion, how we can make the most of the advanced speaking challenge.

What do you remember most about your Number 10 speech?  I gave my number 10 speech in December 2005.  It was a very big moment, very exciting.

I continued working on the speech and gave it in the International Speech Contest.  This took me to the UK & Ireland final and on to Washington so it's a particularly special speech for me.

What did completing the CC teach you?  You get a good grounding working though the CC projects. However, the real journey begins after your number 10 speech. 

I went to Washington to compete in the next round of the 2006 International Speech Contest believing I knew a lot about public speaking.  When I got there I realised I knew very little. 

I met Lance Miller (2005 World Champion of Public Speaking) who explained how much he'd grown since winning the Championship.  A year on he felt he was a different speaker.  This encouraged me to stay in Toastmasters and push myself to achieve more.

I suggest we each ask "what can I learn and how can I develop as a speaker after my number 10 speech?" Every milestone is a new beginning!

What would you recommend as next steps for CCs?  Get straight into working on Advanced Manuals.  If you're lucky enough to live near London take advantage of events such as Toastmasters at Speakers' Corner. And begin to speak in other places - Rotary clubs, Junior Chamber of Commerce etc.

I also recommend joining an Advanced Speakers' Club. Excalibur or the newMarlowe Orators.  Excalibur exists to support Toastmasters who've completed their number 10.  Our flexible programme accommodates longer advanced speeches, mini workshops etc.  Our members, from across London and the South East bring varied experience from their home clubs and you get in-depth evaluations.  Next meeting is on Wednesday 8th October!

You mentioned external speaking opportunities. How can we find them? Darren LaCroix (2001 World Champion of Public Speaking) gives great advice: define the audience, the kind of people you want to talk to. Find out where they gather and offer to speak there free of charge. At trade associations, charities, networking events.  There are plenty of opportunities.

Another option is to give workshops at Toastmasters clubs. Learning to be a good facilitator and workshop leader is as much a part of Toastmasters as giving speeches.  Excalibur provides a forum to try out workshop ideas. The key is learning through doing.  Offer your services to your club and other clubs. You'll broaden your skill as a speaker and a leader.

As we are in the contest season I hear people worrying about getting stale if they rehearse too much.  Do you agree with this? No!  From my post CC experience I realise that if I worry about getting stale I'm more focused on myself and my speech than I am on my audience.  Our job as speakers is to put all our energy into giving the best performance we can for each new audience. That requires preparation, rehearsal, re-scripting... The end result is a fresh and lively performance.

Thank you Simon.

No comments:

District 51

District 31

Other Districts

AZMI SHAHRIN