Search This Blog

08 December, 2008

MIMPJ Toastmasters Club 18th YLP

Feedback on the recent MIMPJ YLP - http://special-at-nothing.blogspot.com


Bet all of you are wondering what in the world is the full title. It's MIM(don't know what it stands for...XP) Petaling Jaya Toastmasters Club 18th Youth Leadership Program. I went to this program for 3 days in a row, so that pretty much explains why I haven't come online these few days. (Just came back...XP)

I went to this so-called 'leadership' program just to accompany my cousin. Actually, they teach us public speaking there. I was expecting something like team-styled games and stuff like that. But, my biggest mistake was not asking what the Toastmasters Club is all about. So I went there like a total blur and sat down at a conference room sort of room. Then, this guy sitting beside me just started talking to me. After the usual (fill this bracket however you like...I actually don't know what word to use...), that guy just started to rattle off, I think I just sat there smiling away...XP

Saw somebody from SMK Seafield, couldn't recognize her at first, then after seeing her name card thingy, I confirmed my suspicions.(Oh! Look! It's Beat-the-rice! It's Beat-rice! It's Eat-rice! It's Beatrice!!!) It was a nice program. To tell the truth, I actually benefited a lot from this program. Before, I was shy even to talk in front of my own class, and seeing that I was class monitor, that is embarassing. Now, I can stand up and talk in front of adults and manage to speak fluently (Yay, cheers!!). I don't feel nervous in front the crowd.

I'm a weird person. I can be extremely nervous before a contest or things like that. But, when I go for the contest thing, I can be as calm as a lake on a windless day. WAIT!! Scrap that. I may look calm, but I'm actually really, really nervous. Weird. When I gave my first speech during the YLP, I was so nervous, but my mentor said that I was 'comfortable' in front of and audience. (Yay, I can hide my nervousness!!)

This program has made me more confident of myself. I did this speech on Dreams and Parents for 3 times in a row. You may think, "Aiyoh, so laaaaazzzzzzyyyyy!" Still, it was my mentor whom encouraged me to use the same speech. The first two times I gave the speech, I didn't leave out the parents part. Then, I left it out unintentionally when I gave the contest speech. Don't get me wrong but I think its partly my parents fault for turning up on that day despite saying that they won't come. When I gave the speech, I was coming to the parents part, then, when I was doing the 'eye contact' part. I saw my parents. Then I looked at the timer and saw that I had at most a minute left before I was disqualified, so I just went on to the conclusion. Oops! My mum said that everybody was waiting for the parents part but it never came.

There were great speakers(in my own opinion) at the program. It was a very memorable and beneficial experience. I won't make this post any longer, I myself feel lazy and want to play games now...XP.

People who went for this program :
1. ME!!!!!

2. Andrew Chin

3. Bianca
(special thanks for your encouragement)

4. Charmaine Yeo
(special thanks for your encouragement)

5. Tai Fung Ying Tan
(nice name?)

6. Beatrice Low
(Seafield Prefect)

7.Devanath
(I think...XD)

8. Phua Yaw Sheng
(chatterbox)

9. Wong May Kay

10. Darold Wong

11. Gan Wen Shen

12. Kee Su Yin

13. Kee Ming Zhen

14. Low Jit Shane
(special thanks for your encouragement)

15. Thiveyen

16. Wei Ken

17. Lee Joe Ian
(interesting name...)

18. Lim Jia Shen
(my cousin)

19. Jolene
(chocolate girl)

20. Marissa
(she's just so bubbly)

21. Nadira

22. Sanjiv

23. Rachel Lim

24. Raihan

Signing off,
Confident Me.

No comments:

District 51

District 31

Other Districts

AZMI SHAHRIN